This website is part of the CodeTheCity 19: History + Data = Innovation event. It's very much a work in progress playground for extracting and presenting the historical vessel arrival information.
The source code for this dashboard is available on GitHub.
Aberdeen Harbour Arrival History
This site contains information about the arrival of vessels into Aberdeen harbour between 1914 and 1920. The data has been transcribed from harbour log books of the period.
Please read the Information page for details about the various assumptions that have been made about the data and any questions we are hoping the wider community can answer.
If the records checked is displaying 0 or none of the years contain data then it means the last data import failed due to an expected value in one of the columns.
So far non-date values in the date column have caused this problem to occur. Please check that no such values are present and hopefully it will rectify the import on the next attempt.
Last update: 28 May 2020 12:56
The transcribed arrival records for each year can be viewed via the following links:
On this day in history
|28-05-1914||Thursday 28th. Very fine weather throught the day and smooth sea.|
|28-05-1915||Friday 28th. Same weather. Wind northerly fresh.|
|28-05-1916||Sunday 28th Light airs & calm throughout the day.|
|28-05-1917||Monday 28th. Same weather continues|
- The date the vessel arrived at Aberdeen harbour
- Name of the vessel that arrived on the date
- Entry number in the log book
- Registered Port
- The port, or country, in which the vessel was registered at
- The person or company in charge of running the vessel
- Registered Tonnage
- Net registered tonnage of the vessel arriving
- Port of Origin
- The port that the vessel sailed from to arrive at Aberdeen
- What the vessel was carrying
- What activity the vessel was carrying out. Note: this is extracted from the source transcribed cargo.
- Has the transcription been checked by a second person